iRobot Scooba 390 Floor Scrubbing Robot Review
iRobot Scooba 390 Floor Scrubbing Robot Review
The Scooba 390 Floor Scrubbing Robot is iRobot’s new and already popular floor scrubbing robot. While the Scooba series may not be as well-known as iRobot’s Roomba series it is already getting a very loyal following. This is a great choice if you have mainly hard surface flooring in your home.
If you are familiar with the Braava series floor mops by iRobot you will be really excited to learn about their new Scooba series of robotic mops. Our goal for this review is to help you make an informed buying decision regarding which type of robot is the best one for your home.
NOTE: If you already know that the Scooba 390 is the right choice for you and just want to buy it you can click here or the link below to purchase it now from Amazon.com.
However, if you are still unsure about which device is right for you then keep reading as we take a closer look at the Scooba 390.
In this review, we are going to take a look at the main features and highlights, the pros and cons you should consider, the customer reviews, and our final verdict of the Scooba 390.
- 1 Main Features of the Scooba 390
- 2 Highlights of the Scooba 390
- 3 Pros to Consider
- 4 Cons to Consider
- 5 Our Final Verdict
Main Features of the Scooba 390
- 4-Stage Cleaning Process
- Scooba 390 keeps cleaning solution in a separate tank so that only clean solution is placed on the floor
- Extensive Coverage Scooba 390 has a wide cleaning head ideal for kitchens and other large areas up to 450 sq ft
- Easy to Use- Let the robot do the work
- All parts that need to be cleaned or maintained are now colored grey and orange
Highlights of the Scooba 390
The Scooba 390 has integrated iRobot’s iAdapt Responsive Cleaning Technology which enables the robot to pass over each cleaning area multiple times in order to make sure the whole room gets a good scrubbing job done.
The Scooba robot is designed to clean all hard surface floor types (excluding laminate). Making it a great choice if you want to get all of your floors mopped without having to do the work yourself.
The use of the Virtual Wall keeps your Scooba within the parameters that you have set for it. We like that this feature is very easy to set up and hands free. It works great if you are having your robotic mop cleaning one room at a time. However, you may need to invest in an additional one if you have multiple rooms, depending on their size.
You do not have to worry about damaging your robot if you have stairs because it comes featured with the auto-cliff detection. We have tested it and have never had it fail the test and fall off.
With the new wall following technology you know longer have to clean the corners of the rooms yourself. This is a complaint we often heard with the older models is that the corners would get neglected. With this new feature they now get as clean as the rest of the room.
If you own one of the previous models you may have had issues with how often the battery died. You will be glad to know that the Scooba 390 has the longest battery life of this series to date. While we still think it could be better, it has improved over the previous versions.
If you are nervous about having to learn a new robotic device you will be happy with how easy the user interface is for new users. The interface is very intuitive and simple to operate so you should have no problem getting your robot setup and started on its job.
One of the things that no matter which device you choose you cannot get away from is having to maintain your floor robot. iRobot has really simplified this process by color coding the parts. The worst thing that can happen is taking apart your robot and not knowing what to do next. Now it’s easy to see which parts need to be cleaned and maintained as they are colored orange and grey. This will make maintaining your robot much simpler which will lead to a longer lasting device.
It is important to note that because iRobot has such a huge market share it is easy to find replacement parts in the case that you ever need them. This sets the Scooba apart from its competitors.
As with all robotic devices, the Scooba 390 has many pros and cons that you should consider before making your buying decision. We will discuss both of these below so that you can easily make the best choice for you.
Pros to Consider
- The iRobot Scooba 390 Floor Scrubbing Mop is much smaller and more compact than its predecessors, which enables it to easily fit under most kinds of furniture. It should be able to easily overcome any obstacles in the room to get it thoroughly cleaned.
- The Scooba robot is 100% hands free to operate meaning that your home with be cleaned automatically without any help from you. Which let’s face it is why we are buying our robot in the first place.
- The user interface is very simple to use so that you can set it and forget it. This allows you to have the lifestyle you want without sacrificing the cleanliness of your home that you need.
- We are very happy to see that the new Scooba has adopted many of the popular features of the well-known Roomba series. We hope that this will continue to be the case with each new model that iRobot releases in the future.
- The Scooba can clean up to 450 square feet on one tank giving you the efficiency you are looking for in your cleaning robot.
Cons to Consider
- The Scooba 390 does a great job at cleaning hard surfaced flooring. However, we do not like that fact that it doesn’t clean laminate flooring. This is one flaw that we hope gets corrected in future models.
- Although this new release is smaller and more compact then previous versions, it is still bulkier than the Roomba models. This can make it less effective depending on the type of furniture you have in your home.
- As with most of iRobot’s new releases, the Scooba 390 Floor Mop is rather expensive compared to some other devices on the market and may be out of reach for some buyers.
Our Final Verdict
Although the Scooba 390 does have some drawbacks to consider we believe it is the best option on the market today. While the 200 series is more affordable, we believe that the new improvements and features on this robot make it worth the price.
If you are looking for a scrubbing mop then we think the Scooba series is hands down the best option. However, if you are just looking for something to maintain your floors in between your cleaning days then you may want to check out the Braava series instead.
You can purchase the Scooba 390 for less than $400 making it the perfect mid-range option that will still give you an excellent and efficient cleaning device. As with all of iRobot’s cleaning devices you can’t go wrong with this robot. There is a reason that they are the market cleaning in the field and the Scooba 390 is just another example about why they will remain in the top spot.