iRobot Roomba 880 Vacuum Cleaner Review
iRobot Roomba 880 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner Review
The iRobot Roomba 880 Vacuum is the latest member of the Roomba family. This robotic vacuum features the new mapping technology and mechanics. You may be wondering if the new technology is worth the price of this vacuum.
It can be very overwhelming to decide which vacuum is the right choice for you because there are so many on the market. Our goal is to help you make an informed decision about whether or not this is the robot for you. By the end of this review you will know if you need this new model or if one of the older generation robots is the right choice for your needs.
NOTE: Before we begin our in depth review of the iRobot Roomba 880, you may have landed on this page with the intention to buy this vacuum. If so, you can click HERE or the link below to go straight through to Amazon right now to purchase it. You will get superfast delivery, an excellent price, and one of the best robot vacuums that money can buy.
If you are still here and want more information before making a decision let us take a closer look…
In this review, we will take a look at the main features and highlights, pros and cons, customer reviews, and our final verdict of the Roomba 880.
- 1 Main Features of the Roomba 880
- 2 Highlights of the Roomba 880
- 3 Pros to Consider
- 4 Cons to Consider
- 5 Our Final Verdict
Main Features of the Roomba 880
- iAdapt Multi-Room Navigation uses a full suite of sensors to navigate and adapt to your changing home
- Room to room cleaning in up to 3 rooms with the included Virtual Wall Lighthouse beacons
- AeroForce 3-Stage Cleaning System delivers up to 50% more cleaning performance
- Tangle-free extractors help prevent hair and debris clogs
- AeroForce High-Efficiency Filter traps fine dirt and dust
Highlights of the Roomba 880
The biggest improvement in the technology of the 880 model compared to the previous generations is the AeroForce Performance Cleaning. It features dual extractors which increase the power of the suction system and the effectiveness and efficiency of the vacuum overall. The biggest pro that we see for this new technology is that the 880 model is a brushless vacuum. This makes it even easier for you to keep clean and functioning properly.
According to iRobot it also streamlines the airflow of the vacuum which they claim has improved the efficiency over 5x compared to the previous iRobot models. It is being marketed as being 50% more effective at picking up the dirt and debris on any type of flooring. The Roomba 880 is definitely one of the more powerful vacuums on the market.
One of the problems that we hear from customers who have purchased the previous Roomba generation vacuums is that they occasionally receive error messages because they become tangled. Unfortunately, this lowers the performance and efficiency of these vacuums. The 880 model features tangle-free debris extractors which solve this problem and make this vacuum even more efficient and effective for its owners.
This robotic vacuum has 60% more capacity than other Roomba vacuums. This is due to the fact that it is more effective in picking up debris which means it needs a larger dust bin to hold it all. We were hoping that this would mean that we wouldn’t have to empty out the dust bin as often. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The 880 model is more effective in picking up the debris and filling up the dust bin. Therefore, you will still need to clean out the bin just as often as the other models.
The Roomba 880 is marketed as being quieter than the 700 series vacuums. While it does seem to be less noisy than the previous models it is not a huge improvement. It is noticeable, but only slightly over the others. This is a step in the right direction and we hope that each new generation continues to improve on this feature.
We have come across some of the pros and cons of the Roomba 880 while doing our research for this review. We looked at both the manufacturer details as well as what feedback and reviews were given by the customers. We have listed the main points for both the good and bad things that we discovered about this robot that will help you make your final purchasing decision.
Pros to Consider
- The auto-scheduling features of the 880 are still the best on the market. While this is not a new feature for this vacuum it is still a key selling point of the Roombas that you should consider. It really does make life so much easier. Once you use this feature it will be hard to ever go back to a robotic vacuum that doesn’t have it.
- Another main reason to buy the Roomba 880 is the coverage technology that all of the iRobot vacuums feature. While again this is not a new feature for this model it is definitely a main selling point for it. This technology is one of the key reasons that iRobot is still one of the industry leaders for the robotic vacuum technology. You definitely need to consider it when making your buying decision.
- The new AeroForce Cleaning System is a major improvement from the previous Roombas. One of the biggest cons that iRobot has had to deal with for many years is the fact that their competitors have better suction power than the Roomba vacuums. This new technology is the answer to this criticism and makes the 880 come close, if not surpass, the other brands. Although this could change because we have not seen what improvements their competitors have made to their latest models yet.
- If you have pets or allergies you will love this new model because the more powerful system makes it much more effective in picking up not only dirt and debris but also all of the pet fur and dander that seems to always be everywhere. The 880 is the best model yet at cleaning up after pets, and kids for that matter! This makes it a great choice for those with pet allergies and sensitivities.
- iRobot continues to improve their technology with each new Roomba model that they release. The 880 model has definitely been an improvement over previous versions. Many of the problems and errors that plagued owners of the previous generations have been solved with the Roomba 880. This vacuum has definitely proven that robotic vacuums are now more than just a novelty item. We will be surprised if robotic vacuums are not the norm in homes within a few years from now. Is it perfect? No, but then what vacuum on the market is right now…
Cons to Consider
- One of the major complaints that we continue to hear about all of the Roomba vacuums is the noise. While the Roomba 880 has made improvements in this area it is not significant enough to satisfy customers. If noise is a big factor in your decision than a Roomba is not the right choice for you. While it is quieter than most traditional vacuums it is still one of the loudest robotic vacuums on the market. We would definitely recommend checking our the competition for more quieter models.
- Another complaint that we often hear regarding the Roomba vacuums is the random cleaning pattern that they make on the carpet. This is not a problem in terms of the cleaning technology as every inch of the room gets covered and cleaned effectively by the robot. However, the Roombas tend to leave behind patterns in the carpet that are not in a linear fashion. Some people do not like the patterns made and complain that they have to go over the carpet with another vacuum. This is another main distinction between the iRobot brand vacuums and their competitors.
- The price is definitely a con for many people. The Roomba 880 is on the market at a price of $700, which is a steep price to pay for many people. While the 880 model has many improvement and some new features over previous generations it may not justify the steep price you have to pay to own it. If you can’t see yourself paying this much for a robotic vacuum, you will definitely want to check out the earlier series. They still perform very well and you can get that at a much lower price than the 880. Just like all other home electronics, you have to pay the price tag against the new features and decide which is right choice for you based on your individual needs.
Our Final Verdict
We believe that overall the 880 Roomba is a great robotic vacuum. They have added new technology and features that will enhance your lifestyle and make it even easier to keep your home cleaning without you having to do the work yourself. This new model is a great step in the right direction for the Roomba vacuums. The choice comes down to price versus new features and what is most important for you. If you want the most powerful Roomba vacuum than this is definitely the choice for you. However, if you are looking for a less expensive alternative we recommend checking out the 600 or 700 series because they still give you a great overall vacuum and can cost 50% less than the 880 model. However, you will not get the improved technology features on them. In the end, the choice comes down to what is most important to you.